Search

Landlord of historic landmark The Cauliflower vows to return pub to ‘former glory’

07:01 06 August 2014

New landlord of the Cauliflower Reiss Matto

New landlord of the Cauliflower Reiss Matto

Archant

The owner of a derelict landmark has said he is committed to returning it to its “former glory” as a popular pub.

Reiss Matto, 18, took over the historic Cauliflower pub in Ilford High Road in November.

The owner of a derelict landmark has said he is committed to returning it to its “former glory” as a popular pub.

Reiss Matto, 18, took over the historic Cauliflower pub in Ilford High Road in November.

Speaking to the Recorder, Mr Matto said the Victorian gin palace – which closed last year – was being fully refurbished and plans to open in November.

He said: “It’s an amazing gin palace and it’s unique compared to the other pubs in the area.

“When I first saw it I thought it could be something spectacular and different to all the rest. It’s been previously neglected and treated as a boozer. We want to refurbish it and return it to its former glory as a gin palace.”

The pub will also operate as a hotel, with 26 rooms in the upper floors.

“We want to open it up for families and make it a nice place to eat – a real British pub,” added Mr Matto, who had previously made a bid to buy The Bell in Ley Street.

The venture will be his first as a landlord, and he said The Cauliflower already has a place in his heart. “I love the building – I’ll never let it go,” he said. “I’ll pass it on to my kids.”

In June, the building was granted listed status by English Heritage following a campaign by residents to protect the building.

The council had previously added it to its local list and served a notice to prevent the building being demolished.

Campaigner John Law, who started the petition to protect the pub, said he was pleased to hear it would be restored as a pub.

“I am absolutely overjoyed that it’s not becoming a McDonald’s or Tesco, as a lot of people were assuming,” he said.

Read more:

Petition to save late nineteenth century Ilford pub The Cauliflower nearing 400 signatures

17-year-old in bid to buy closed down Ilford pub The Bell

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ilford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ilford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ilford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

6 minutes ago

Wanstead’s Christmas tree lights will be switched-on today (Saturday) – despite a row over footing the bill.

Fire ripped through the ground floor flat in Britannia Road, Ilford

A woman and four children made a lucky escape from a flat in Britannia Road, Ilford, last night (Thursday) after a fire ripped through the ground floor bedroom.

John Coombes

The Redbridge Conversation has been called into question by community group leaders.

Planned engineering work could affect your journey this weekend.

There is a relatively minor programme of planned closures on the Tube and Overground network this weekend - but they could still affect your journey. Read on for the lowdown.

Most read news

The judge was having none of it and labelled the driver’s version of events as ‘ludicrous’.

Word for word, has anyone ever read one of those website T&Cs documents? Politicians presume not.

The 38-year-old triggered a manhunt after two bodies were found at an address in Surrey.

The mayor is meant to be convincing Singapore to invest in London – but he clearly has a bigger plan.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition