Search

Indefinite ban for Ilford caterers who gave 32 people food poisoning in Chigwell

PUBLISHED: 14:21 25 January 2016 | UPDATED: 14:21 25 January 2016

Another picture inside the restaurant taken by health inspectors in July 2014. Picture: Newham Council

Another picture inside the restaurant taken by health inspectors in July 2014. Picture: Newham Council

Archant

A catering couple found guilty of giving 32 people food poisoning at a community event have been banned from running a food business indefinitely.

Inspectors found the Memons' kitchen hygiene to be inadequate      Picture: Newham CouncilInspectors found the Memons' kitchen hygiene to be inadequate Picture: Newham Council

Kamran Memon, 44, and his wife Farhana, 49, owners of Plaistow restaurant Karachi Karahi in Barking Road, were also ordered to carry out 150 hours of community service following trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

The pair, of Windermere Gardens, Ilford, were found guilty of supplying unsafe food – thought to be the popular Indian dish chicken biryani – when catering for a Sindhi Association of Europe (SAE) event in Chigwell, Essex, in August 2013.

Four days later the SAE reported the poisonings to Newham Council who carried out an inspection and banned the restaurant’s owners from providing outside catering.

But it wasn’t the first time they had been on the council’s radar. After an inspection in November 2012 the restaurant closed voluntarily for a deep clean. Again in July 2013 it was served with hygiene improvement notices.

Inspectors found the Memons' kitchen hygiene to be inadequate      Picture: Newham CouncilInspectors found the Memons' kitchen hygiene to be inadequate Picture: Newham Council

A fire in April of last year saw the restaurant close down.

At Snaresbrook Crown Court on Friday, Judge Alastair Hammerton said: “You deliberately closed your eyes to the risks by poor food management and went on regardless.

“Your failure to comply with the hygiene improvement notices amounted to recklessness. Had you complied I’m satisfied that the risks posed by serving inadequately warmed food would have been all but eliminated.”

Judge Hammerton also ruled the death of a 39-year-old woman who had eaten at the event was not caused by the couple’s food.

A photo taken by Newham Council health inspectors in July 2014 found the Memons' kitchen hygiene to be inadequate. Picture: Newham CouncilA photo taken by Newham Council health inspectors in July 2014 found the Memons' kitchen hygiene to be inadequate. Picture: Newham Council

After considering the analysis of experts, he said there was not sufficient evidence to prove her death came as a result of food poisoning.

“At the end of the day the lack of microbiological evidence means that I can’t be certain,” he said. “That the experts can’t produce an alternative explanation is not enough. I’m therefore not convinced that the necessary causal link is made out.”

In response to the sentencing, Cllr Ian Corbett, mayoral advisor for environment and leisure, said the judge had been “too lenient”.

He said: “[The restaurant] repeatedly ignored the warnings to clean up their act from our officers and showed no regard for the safety of their customers.

“At the very least they should have received a substantial fine, or even time behind bars, for the reckless behaviour they have shown. Community service is little penance.”

The couple was also ordered to pay £25,000 in court costs.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ilford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ilford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ilford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Ilford News Stories

A burglar who talked his way into people’s homes wearing a police uniform and even handcuffed one of his victims has been jailed for impersonating a police officer.

Residents say it is “a miracle” that no one was hurt when a shop was destroyed by a blaze started by an incense stick yesterday.

12:49

Residents flocked to Ken Aston Square, to celebrate St George’s Day.

09:40

You might know there will be an general election in June but do you know who to vote for?

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Ilford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now