Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 22°C

min temp: 16°C

Five-day forecast

Ilford firefighters take part in national weekend strike

Firefighters strike outside Ilford Fire Station Firefighters strike outside Ilford Fire Station

Tuesday, May 6, 2014
9:37 AM

Firefighters staged a national strike over the weekend as part of a three-year row over changes to retirement age and pensions - though they claim it went largely unnoticed.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Crews at Ilford stood outside the station in High Road on Friday during the five-hour walk-out, where they burned a barrel full of wood. A 12-hour strike followed on Saturday, and another five-hour one on Sunday.

And they believe the strike to such an important emergency service is going not getting enough exposure.

Speaking to the Recorder, a spokesman said: “I don’t think the governemnt like that most of the public support us, and I have only heard one story about it on the radio, and that was this morning.”

The strike comes as part of an ongoing dispute between the Fire Brigade Union (FBU) and the government over raised pension contributions and retirement age.

“It’s about having to work longer hours and pay more into and get less out of our pensions than we were promised,” said the spokesman.

The dispute started in 2011 and regular strikes have been staged by since then.

The spokesman added: “They are not talking to us - it’s been going on for three years. We don’t want to strike, it doesn’t sit well with us. We would break our own picket line if we had to, but you can’t have firefighters climbing ladders at 60. It’s ridiculous.”

The union is angry that firefighters will have to pay higher pension contributions, work into their late 50s and may be sacked because their fitness declines with age.

Matt Wrack, FBU general secretary, said: “Future strikes could be avoided simply by the government honouring current pension promises and releasing proposals for the future that reflect discussions we’ve held over the last three years and take account of the evidence we have presented about our occupation.”

He added: “Surely it’s now time for their games to stop and common sense to prevail?”

Share this article

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ilford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ilford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Forgotten your password?

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ilford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

   Local advertisers

More news articles

Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Ilford Recorder on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Ilford businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Ilford Recorder, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

Drake has cancelled his Wireless London performance (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for ESPN)

Fans devastated after Drake cancels Wireless London festival

Rapper Drake has pulled out of his headline appearances at this weekend’s Wireless Festival in London, leaving fans devastated.

Read full story »