March 10 2014 Latest news:
Lizzie Dearden, Senior reporter
Friday, December 20, 2013
A heavily pregnant woman escaped unharmed when a candle set fire to her flat in Ilford yesterday evening.
The mum-to-be and her boyfriend were in another room when the blaze started at around 10pm in their bedroom but firefighters put it out before it could spread.
Nigel McCormick, watch manager at Ilford Fire Station, was with crews at the scene in Park Avenue.
He said: “It was caused by a candle on top of a set of draws next to the door.
“It swung into the drawers and the coat on the back of the door caught fire and it started to spread.”
Luckily, the quick-thinking man got other flammable material away from the flames without injuring himself.
Mr McCormick said the woman, who was due to have her baby in just two weeks, was “very shocked and frightened” but unhurt.
He added: “In another 10 minutes, the fire would have been unbeatable and the whole flat would be alight.
“The message is - don’t leave candles unattended.”
The smoke alarm in the flat was not working and the residents only detected the fire when they smelt burning.
Firefighters warned people to extinguish candles when they leave a room and keep them away from flammable material.
Smoke alarms should be tested regularly.