Search

Woodford Green man fears hospital hasn’t learnt from mistakes that led to his 77-year-old father’s death

PUBLISHED: 07:00 08 September 2017 | UPDATED: 09:12 08 September 2017

Kevin Mann, who died a year ago this week at Queen's Hospital, Romford. Photo: Simon Mann

Kevin Mann, who died a year ago this week at Queen's Hospital, Romford. Photo: Simon Mann

Archant

A senior coroner has filed a damning report to the director of public health after a botched radiological procedure led to the death of a 77-year-old grandfather.

Queen's Hospital Queen's Hospital

Nadia Persaud was so concerned by mistakes made by Queen’s Hospital doctors prior to Kevin Mann’s death, that she has alerted officials to prevent further deaths.

Kevin, of Elm Park, died a year ago today after his lungs failed as a result of what Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals Trust (BHRUT) dubbed “a clinical governance gap”.

The life long West Ham fan had an operation to fight oesophagal cancer at the Romford hospital on May 23 last year.

Four days later he underwent a contrast study, where he swallowed a chemical solution to help make X-rays clearer in order for doctors to measure his throat’s recovery.

Simon Mann with his father Kevin, who died a year ago this week at Queen's Hospital, Romford. Photo: Simon Mann Simon Mann with his father Kevin, who died a year ago this week at Queen's Hospital, Romford. Photo: Simon Mann

Son Simon, of Rokeby Gardens, Woodford Green, told the Recorder: “It was a big surgery and he was on the table for more than 10 hours, so of course he wasn’t in a great state but he had come through it – the surgeon was happy with how the procedure had gone.”

Unfortunately, the chemical solution entered his lungs, and Kevin died of respiratory failure on September 7.

At an inquest in June this year, senior coroner Nadia Persaud found a number of mistakes had been made by staff in Queen’s Hospital’s radiology department during Kevin’s treatment.

An independent radiologist consulted by the coroner determined that Mr Mann’s left lung was obviously collapsed in an X-ray taken before the contrast swallow procedure, and that this X-ray had never been looked at.

If it had, the consultant said, the swallow procedure should never have gone ahead.

The coroner also determined that radiologists had become aware of fluid entering Mr Mann’s lungs mid-procedure, and instead of abandoning it as per suggested medical practice, continued.

Simon added: “I’m a former Campion schoolboy, I still have friends that live in the area and I think they deserve to know that these mistakes are being made and that it can be dangerous.”

At the inquest, futher concerns were raised about the lack of documentation surrounding Kevin’s contrast swallow.

Queen’s Hospital’s radiology department was unable to produce any records stating the quantity of contast solution, called Visipaque, he had been given to swallow.

And Ms Persaud was also troubled by evidence that suggested that no changes had been made to Queen’s Hospital’s contrast swallow procedures since Mr Mann’s death.

She concluded: “The incident occurred over a year ago.

“Despite clear concerns being raised by the consultant surgeon on May 27 2016, there had been no adequate review of the Visipaque procedure policy by the date of the inquest hearing.”

This led her to submit a regulation 28 report to both the director of public health and the Clinical Care Commission, highlighting how the trust could prevent future deaths.

At the inquest, 50-year-old father-of-one Simon told the coroner: “It’s my view that during the sip test on May 27, a fatal lack of care took place.

“Whether that was through negligence, carelessness, Friday night time pressures or a lack of training is what needs to be decided.”

Dr Nadeem Moghal, BHRUT’s medical director, said the trust had done all it could to learn from Mr Mann’s death.

He said: “We would like to apologise to Mr Mann’s family for the distress caused by his death, and we acknowledge that we fell short of the high standards we set ourselves in our treatment of him.

“We have worked extremely hard to tackle the issues which were highlighted by the inquest, and have responded to all the concerns raised by the coroner.”

Chief among these, the trust has introduced a new way of administering Visipaque swallows to ensure they fall into line with national standards, and that all staff are fully trained in the new process.

Dr Moghal added: “We are sorry for our shortcomings on this occasion, but believe that the learning we have been able to take forward means we are providing better care for our patients now and in the future.

“We have invited Mr Mann’s family to meet with us to discuss their concerns.”

Related articles

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ilford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ilford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ilford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Ilford News Stories

07:00

A former-gang member who was stabbed as a teenager and went on to transform his life speaks to EMMA YOULE about the impact of rising knife attacks on young people in Redbridge, in the first of a special series on knife crime

Yesterday, 16:15

The MPs for Ilford have backed our homelessness campaign and encouraged others to consider making the winter a little warmer for those who need it most.

Yesterday, 15:16

The family of Sanjeev Kumar, who died on the streets of Ilford, had no idea of his death - or that he was homeless.

Yesterday, 13:15

Poorer Redbridge residents could be set for a sooner-than-expected increase in their council tax.

PROMOTED CONTENT

You don’t have to make the trek to the North Pole to get into the Christmas spirit this year.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Oaks Park High School Year 8 student Rhia Gondhia likes to make people feel welcome.

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Ilford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now