Search

King George cancer patients may have to travel to central London for complex surgery

13:45 27 March 2013

Redbridge cancer sufferers may have to travel to central London for complex surgery under new plans to transfer some operations from King George Hospital.

Urological cancers in the prostate, kidney and bladder would still be diagnosed, treated and rehabilitated at King George, in Barley Lane, Goodmayes, but some patients would go to University College Hospital, in Euston, for surgery.

Umbrella organisation London Cancer estimates less than one fifth of prostate and cancer patients would be affected, but three-quarters of kidney cancer sufferers could be referred.

The most recent figures available, for 2009, show that 36 bladder and prostate cancer patients and 24 kidney patients needed complex surgery in the year.

People would also be transferred from Queen’s Hospital, in Romford, but a London Cancer spokesman said local hospitals would still provide “the majority” of care.

She added: “The proposals relate to improving the whole patient journey.”

Redbridge group the Association of Prostate Patients in London and Essex (APPLE) have “mixed feelings” about the change.

Chairman Ken Mastris said: “The main concern from the patients’ view is transport into central London.

“But everybody is in agreement about having a centre of excellence.

“With prostate cancer, it’s really down to how good the surgeon is and the new facilities at University College Hospital will be good.”

Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (BHRUT) did not bid to provide the new centralised surgery.

Medical director Mike Gill urged London Cancer to limit the move to “very specialist procedures”.

He added: “The pathway group and London Cancer should continually be assessing when local is possible and only continue to centralise where definitely necessary according to best evidence.”

No facilities or wards at King George Hospital will be lost if the surgery is relocated.

A new dedicated urology unit opened in Iris Ward earlier this month.

A consultation on the changes will finish on Friday.

0 comments

Latest Ilford News Stories

Charlie Kutyauripo, 16, who was stabbed to death in Woodford Bridge. Photo: @MostAuthentic

A teenager who stabbed his former friend to death outside a 16th birthday party told the Old Bailey he did it “to protect” himself.

Nabihah Jaigirdar has been nominated for a Recorder/Redbridge Rotary Club Young Citizen Award. Photo: Anthony Michael

A pupil who has raised £1,000 for a children’s charity and helps to interview prospective teachers has been nominated for a Recorder/Redbridge Rotary Club Young Citizen Award.

An aerial view of what the Exchange Shopping Centre development will look like. The highest tower will be 27 storeys. Picture: Meyer Bergman

At a fractious regulatory committee meeting last night, councillors granted planning permission for developers to build 214 flats on an Ilford shopping centre.

Redbridge Disabled Women's Welfare Association, holding their annual charity bazaar at the Jack Carter Centre,

Beautiful jewellery, colourful shalwar kameezes and delicious food were sold at a women’s group’s annual charity bazaar.

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Win a BMW 1 series

There are fewer cars currently on the market more stylish and exciting than the BMW. Known all over the world as one of the best car manufacturers, the BMW is renowned for sleek designs and fantastic high quality workmanship.

Kindle 7 inch tablet

Are you looking for a brand new gadget to help you stay connected on the go and make that long journey home a bit more entertaining? Look no further. MyOffers is giving you the chance to win 1 of 50 Kindle Fire 7” Display Tablets! That’s 50 times more chances to win, so hurry up and enter our competition today and you could be one of our lucky winners!

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Ilford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe