Search

King George A&E to remain open beyond 2015, says Health Secretary

12:10 20 May 2014

King George Hospital

King George Hospital

Archant

King George’s A&E will remain open beyond 2015 when it had been provisionally set to close and “for the foreseeable future”.

The news was announced today by Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt.

In a statement, he said: “The NHS locally has always been clear that changes to the A&E service at King George Hospital will not be made until there are further improvements in the quality of emergency care, and when more work has taken place to reduce the need for hospital attendance and give care closer to home.”

Mr Hunt added: “Progress is being made in these areas and the Trust’s improvement plan as part of our rigorous special measures process reinforces the focus on developing emergency care for local patients.

“This is a priority for the new leadership team at the Trust.

“However, there is still work to do and we do not expect the Trust to be ready to make the changes for the foreseeable future.”

The Recorder revealed last year demand at King George’s A&E was soaring, with nearly 18,000 ambulances arriving between April 2012 and March this year – two per cent more than the previous year.

Figures revealed show Redbridge’s hospital trust consistently failed to hit government A&E waiting time targets in 2013.

Ilford North MP Lee Scott confirmed he would continue to campaign to keep the A&E open permanently.

He said: “In my view this is not the end of the campaign - not by any stretch of the imagination.

“This campaign has been going on for a decade.”

Mr Scott added the news “would get rid of stories” the hospital would close if the A&E was shut.

“This gets rid of stories that the hospital was going to close,” he added.

“I will still campaign for this to be made permanent.”

Ilford South MP Mike Gapes called the announcement “an election stunt” with the decision being made so close to the local elections on Thursday (22).

He said: “I think you should realise that this a pre-election stunt by Jeremy Hunt - the Redbridge Conservatives are desperate.

“The government is not changing its position. This is just a device to get the Conservatives more votes on Thursday.”

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ilford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ilford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ilford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

07:00
Wilson Chowdhry, owner of AA Security on 73 Green lane has received hoards of junk mail. The mail is for at least ten other addresses than 73 Green lane.

Ilford’s first ever Christmas Festival will take place on Tuesday.

Yesterday, 12:00
Househunter turned employee Jess Rodgers

It’s not every day a visit to a housing development turns into a new job – but that’s what happened to one 26-year-old from South Woodford.

Yesterday, 09:00
Disaster Chef Laura Grant

A marketing professional with a terrible track record in the kitchen has been named one of the most hopeless cooks in Britain.

Saturday, December 20, 2014
Barkingside's Make Believe Panto

The stars of Barkingside’s Make Believe performing arts company took part in their Christmas pantomime last week.

Most read news

Ahhh… When did the 1990s become the “good old days”?

After weeks of challenges and cringeworthy boardroom showdowns, Lord Sugar made a decision – and Twitter was watching.

And we were all invited to the happy couple’s big day!

And they have a role to play in saving their species.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition