Search

Isolated, frightened and racially abused - how new service helps Redbrige’s victims

11:33 30 January 2013

Redbridge Victims

Redbridge Victims' Panel Launch

Archant

»When a single mum who spoke little English was subjected to racial abuse by a gang for months on end, she was deemed at risk and referred to a specialist panel.

The gang of young teenagers would single out Yulia – not her real name – shouting racist abuse, banging on her front door and shouting through the letterbox.

Due to her isolation she was referred to the Redbridge Victims’ Panel to ensure she was properly supported and understood what action was being taken to resolve it.

Geoffrey Fox is a victims’ advocate and represents those referred to the panel as well as keeping them up to date with developments in their case.

Mr Fox said: “It’s not that there was a bad incident, it’s a low level crime at a high frequency, it can make someone feel particularly vulnerable and she got to the end of her tether.”

“If you don’t have peace of mind at home it will have a big impact on your life.”

Vulnerable

Yulia was referred to the panel by housing services. The panel then involved other agencies, such as the anti-social behaviour team or environmental health, in the case.

The panel works with vulnerable and repeat victims of hate crime or anti-social behaviour. Although the panel was officially launched on Wednesday of last week, it has been on trial since June.

After the initial referral is made and representatives from agencies have been brought in, an assessment of the victim’s circumstances takes place.

For Yulia, this meant being kept up to date by Mr Fox on what the different agencies were doing and ensuring she felt part of decisions being made.

Mr Fox said: “I gave the woman emotional support, one of the most common complaints is that there’s a lack of information and involvement in the processes. It makes a huge difference to victims to feel involved in the system.”

At the moment referrals cannot be made by the public.

0 comments

Latest News Stories

16:29

GP commissioners have said they are “extremely disappointed” after Redbridge Council agreed to refer Wanstead Hospital ward closure plans to Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt.

13:01
Police tape

Police arrested 34 people in a coordinated day of action against criminals using the roads to travel across nine London boroughs and Essex.

17:30
Years three to six stood outside Fairlop Primary School to raise awareness of parents parking outside the school and the danger of it.

Youngsters at Fairlop Primary School have been getting involved in a safety campaign.

Mayoress Hilary Kissin, mayor Cllr Ashley Kissin and students Alison Sartor and Dominic Hartfree-Pearce

Sixth form students presented the mayors of London and Redbridge with banners to mark 70 years since the Nazis’ most infamous concentration camp was liberated.

Most read news

One describes a murder as “gut-wrenchingly awesome” while another calls for “more beheadings”.

Firefighters were called in to help two cows which had fallen through ice.

Decisions about if the controversial shale gas extraction be allowed have been delayed.

We asked the question, but the results may surprise you.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24
Our trusted business finder