Chadwell Heath school pupil, with meningitis nearly died after being sent home from A&E
PUBLISHED: 07:00 20 April 2017
A mother whose son went into septic shock with meningitis after being turned away from A&E, is fundraising for a specialist centre which saved his life.
Meningitis – What to look out for
There are a number of symptoms, including:
a high temperature (fever) of 38C (100.4F) or above
feeling and being sick
irritability and a lack of energy
aching muscles and joints
cold hands and feet
pale, mottled skin
a stiff neck
a dislike of bright lights
rash that won’t disappear with pressure
Babies may also:
be agitated and not want to be picked up
have a bulging soft spot on their head (fontanelle)
be floppy or unresponsive
have an unusual high-pitched cry
have a stiff body
Call 999 in an emergency and NHS 111 to ask advice
Jas Bhogal, 35, went through every parent’s “worst nightmare” when four-year-old Hartej was sent home ill from his Chadwell Heath school in November.
He had a high temperature, cold hands and vomiting, so Jas rushed Hartej to King George Hospital’s A&E in Barley Lane, Goodmayes.
He was diagnosed with a viral infection and sent home.
“Something was telling me this was not just a minor illness. As a mum you just know,” she said.
The Bhogal family want to raise awareness about the important work Cosmic does to treat hundreds of critically ill children each year while supporting families through “the hardest of times”.
They have set up a fundraising page (justgiving.com/fundraising/Jas-Bhogal) and have put together a list to show how much it costs to keep the ward going.
n £1,500 buys a syringe pump to administer drugs at precise intervals in exact quantities.
n £3,000 buys a “baby pod” to safely transport sick children.
n £5,500 buys ventilator upgrades, making them state of the art.
n £35,000 buys a high frequency oscillating ventilator.
n £150,000 buys an intensive care bed and basic machines.
“I took him to my GP and asked if it was meningitis, but she said ‘definitely not’ and we were sent home again.”
Hartej slipped in and out of consciousness and a rash appeared on his body.
His organs started to fail and he went into septic shock.
Calling 999, his parents were “lucky” to be given one of eight beds at St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington, which has a unit for critically ill children.
“He had deteriorated and they said his chances of survival were very slim. It felt surreal, all we could do now was hope and pray for a miracle to happen.”
The staff at the hospital worked round the clock to stabilise Hartej and a week later he was transferred to a normal ward.
The specialist treatment Hartej needed was only available at the St Mary’s unit, run by charity Cosmic.
The family hope to raise funds for the hospital by hosting a dinner and dance. There will be a three course meal, and entertainment, on April 29, at the Marriott Hotel, Canary Wharf, from 6.30pm to 11.30pm.
Magda Smith, associate Mmedical director, for the trust that manages King George Hospital said:
“We’re really pleased that there was a happy outcome for Hartej and his family, and that they’re doing such a wonderful thing by raising money for the charity which helped save his life.
“Meningitis can be extremely difficult to diagnose in the early stages. We will be in touch with the family so we can review what happened here and see what we can learn from Hartej’s care with us.”
For tickets to the dinner and dance click here