July 23 2014 Latest news:
Friday, May 16, 2014
An allotment committee member has hit out at thieves who targeted the plotholders’ building for the second time in a year.
Michael Fresco, a plot holder at the New North Road Allotments in Hainault has spoken of the inconvenience caused by Saturday night’s break-in.
Thieves used “brute force” to break a hole in the pre cast concrete building before crawling in and stealing the cash flow and bottles of fertiliser.
“They’ve just done more damage,” said Michael. “All they have done is cause a lot of people inconvenience by having to take all the equipment home every day.”
Allotment chairman David Sevant said break-ins had been an ongoing problem at the site for the last “two or three years.”
“They have increased the security measures as a result of the incident,” confirmed David.