Search

Greater Anglia and Network Rail ‘genuinely sorry’ for summer disruptions as action plan announced

16:59 18 August 2014

A Greater Anglia train at Ilford train Station.

A Greater Anglia train at Ilford train Station.

Archant

Under-pressure train bosses have apologised to customers and vowed to take “urgent action” to improve the much maligned service.

In a joint statement published on the Abellio Greater Anglia website on Friday, managing director Jamie Burles and Network Rail Anglia managing director Richard Schofield said they were “genuinely sorry” for the problems affecting train services in recent weeks.

But after first appearing on Friday, the statement appeared to have been removed from the website today.

Two weeks ago the Recorder reported that commuters had faced nearly 2,000 hours of delays in just seven days on the Liverpool Street to Shenfield line.

Friday’s statement said the service had been “well below the standards you rightly expect and we intend to deliver”, and blamed problems on infrastructure failures, engineering problems, train faults, fatalities, flooding and vehicles crashing into bridges.

Mr Burles and Mr Schofield said they were “acutely aware of the frustration and inconvenience” felt by passengers.

A plan of action was detailed which included fixing infrastructure faults more quickly, investing in maintenance for points, signalling and level-crossings and removing trees and plants from the sides of the tracks – including on third party land.

The pair also said they would improve planning and contingency for engineering work, invest in tackling the main causes of train faults – doors, couplers and pantographs – and speed up the fitting of remote monitoring equipment to trains to help identify potential faults before they happen.

The plan also includes trialling stand-by buses at “key locations” such as Bishop’s Stortford, Witham, Ipswich and Norwich.

They said improvements had already been made, such as using a train with a rooftop camera to look for faults and problems.

And the statement said “improved customer information procedures” to provide better information during disruptions were being implemented, with more customer information staff working during the morning and evening peak times and a software upgrade programme underway at London Liverpool Street.

“Please accept our apologies for the recent problems. We are under no illusion as to the impact these problems have had on passengers and we are anxious to put things right,” said the statement.

“We believe that this targeted programme of initiatives will help restore the more consistent service we all want to see.

“Everyone in our teams is working as hard as possible to deliver real improvements over the coming weeks.”

Asked why the statement was no longer available on the Greater Anglia website, a spokeswoman said it had initially been put on the homepage “so everyone can see it” and would return to a “permanent position” on the website.

The statement has since reappeared on the site.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ilford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ilford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ilford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 17:00
Redbridge Town Hall. Picture: Redbridge Council

The search for a new chief executive of Redbridge Council is set to begin after Roger Hampson announced he will be retiring from the role next year.

Yesterday, 16:40
Lord Alan Sugar. Picture: PA/Philip Toscano

A teenager has been ordered to pay a celebrity businessman £100 in compensation.

Yesterday, 16:14
Redbridge Witzo,a women's group which raises money for women's causes, hosted a strawberry tea event at Old Parkonians Association in Ilford.Elsa Linder, Val Middlebungh, Gloria Soskin, Sean Devoren (Head Butler at the Savoy Hotel) Muriel Silver, Judy Rose, Norma Levinson and Maxine Karobik

Dreary weather could not stop the women of Redbridge Women’s International Zionist Organisation (WIZO) from enjoying themselves as they hosted a strawberry tea event with a special guest.

Yesterday, 13:33
Campaign group People's NHS rallying in George Lane, South Woodford, and getting people to sign its petition to improve healthcare and stop privatisation of the NHS.

Campaign group People’s NHS held a rally in George Lane, South Woodford, on Saturday.

Most read news

Competitions

Get your hands on some fresh trainers!

Need some new shoes to head to work or some new heels for a night on the cobbles? London24 has teamed up with online retailer Sole Trader to offer £100 worth of shoes to one lucky reader.

Take in the stunning sites of London from the summit of the O2!

Up at The O2 has teamed up with London24 to give one lucky reader the chance to experience urban mountaineering this summer with an exhilarating 90-minute climb across the roof of one of London’s most iconic landmarks.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder