Search

Flat blaze firefighter in water row victory

07:02 01 July 2014

Fireman David Neicho from Ilford has received a £7,500 payout after claiming he was denied drinking water during a fire.

Fireman David Neicho from Ilford has received a £7,500 payout after claiming he was denied drinking water during a fire.

Archant

A firefighter who was hospitalised with dehydration following a huge flat fire in Gants Hill has received a four-figure payout following a three-year battle.

David Neicho, 50, was one of 30 firefighters called to the scene of the blaze on Woodford Avenue on August 3 2011.

He told the Recorder he fell ill after requests for bottled drinking water to be ordered for firefighters were initially refused by senior staff at the scene.

Last week, Mr Neicho received £7,500 in compensation after reaching an out-of-court settlement over the incident with the London Fire Brigade.

According to fire service policy, crews are supposed to source drinking water from hydrants, with requests for bottled water only allowed in exceptional circumstances.

Mr Neicho said senior staff at the fire had decided crews should use hydrants, in line with brigade policy, but claimed firefighters were never told of the decision.

While a request was put in for bottled water once it emerged the hydrants had not been set up, the dad of one began feeling unwell.

An ambulance was called and he was taken to hospital, believed to be suffering with dehydration.

The dad of one, who lives in Romford, said: “It makes me incredibly angry, that we could be treated like that over water,” he said.

“I’m not really that bothered about the money,

“It was an extremely hot night.

“These were exceptional circumstances.

“People were jumping out of the windows, breaking legs and hips.”

Mr Neicho, who spent 27 years as a firefighter at Ilford station, is now based at Stratford performing light duties such as installing smoke alarms.

A spokeswoman for London Fire Brigade said: “We took a commercial decision to settle this matter out of court.

“It would not be appropriate to comment.”

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ilford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ilford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ilford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

Madhia Liaquat, 13, has raised money for Great Ormond Street hostpital by baking, 5k runs, and gets support from local businesses. She is also an ambassador for autism and goes out and about in the local community to raise awareness (photo: Arnaud Stephenson)

A kind-hearted girl who has always tried to help those less fortunate has been nominated for the Recorder/Redbridge Rotary Young Citizen Award.

Yesterday, 18:06

The A406 between Ilford and Redbridge Roundabout is gridlocked following an earlier accident.

Yesterday, 16:14

A 56-year-old man who exposed himself in a churchyard has been sentenced to 12 weeks in prison.

Yesterday, 16:09
Planned engineering work could affect your journey this weekend.

There is a relatively minor programme of planned closures on the Tube and Overground network this weekend - but they could still affect your journey. Read on for the lowdown.

Most read news

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

At 100 years old, this was Ruby Holt’s first visit to the beach – and the first time she saw the ocean.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition