Search

Recorder letters: National anthem, recycling, A&E, impressive exhibition, avert war and Sister Act

PUBLISHED: 12:00 19 November 2017

John Bramston pupils sang the National Anthem during their Remembrance service. Picture: KEN MEARS

Archant

Letters, contributions and comments sent in from Recorder readers this week.

Nice to see pupils sing the anthem

Major Paul Burton (retired), full address supplied, writes:

About a year ago I wrote to you expressing disappointment that young school children did not know the words to our National Anthem.

However on Friday, November 10, my wife and I, accompanied by the deputy mayor, Ashley Kissin, Wes Streeting MP and David Martin with a number of members of the Fairlop Heritage Group, attended a presentation from the children of the John Bramston Primary School on how to sing our National Anthem.

It was an absolutely splendid occasion and I feel very encouraged that this may now spread to other primary schools. I do hope that this is the start of all primary school children being taught to sing our National Anthem. My compliments to teaching staff at John Bramston.

Missed collection form useless

Loraine Sladden, Downshall Avenue, Newbury Park, writes:

Redbridge Council, quite rightly so, encourages household recycling, but unfortunately if the collection team forget to collect your boxes you have to complete an online report which gives you no room for comments .

Very early on Thursday morning a couple of weeks ago I made sure my boxes were clearly on display on the path of my front garden but despite my efforts and the boxes being in plain view, the recycling collection team missed all of them.

I must at this stage point out that this was very unusual as over the years I have always found the service to be extremely reliable.

I rang the council to report a missed collection as the online reporting form is useless and was told by a disgruntled woman on the other end of the phone, to put all my recycling into my normal waste collection! I was clearly an interruption to her busy day!

I contacted Andy Donald, chief executive of Redbridge Council and Simon Dale, interim head of Environmental Services to lodge a formal complaint. I would like to thank both of them for dealing with this swiftly and effectively and assuring me that this member of staff would be reprimanded and retrained.

We cannot have members of staff working for Redbridge Council actively encouraging members of the public to dispose of their recycling in this manner.

Also this online reporting system needs a thorough overhaul. There is definite room for improvement.

CCG must U-turn on A&E downgrade

Cllr Paul Canal, Conservative Councillor for Bridge Ward, writes:

The failure to publish the PWC report into the proposed downgrading of King George A&E is nothing short of a scandal. The failure to produce the report for a meeting on Monday was administrative cowardice.

All those close to the original decision agree it was flawed. In private meetings they agree the closure would be indefensible. They agree it cannot happen, as to do so would be “unsafe”, and could therefore not go ahead.

In public they assume the garb of Trappist monks, and hide behind an unpublished, but widely circulated report.

Enough is enough. Our Redbridge CCG publicly supported the downgrading of King George A&E. They must now repent and retrench, and publicly say the downgrading should not proceed. The future of King George A&E lies in their hands

It is no longer acceptable for this saga of indecision to continue.

I publicly call on Dr Anil Mehta, chairman of the Redbridge CCG, and his board colleagues to say they no longer support the closure of King George A&E. If they withdraw their support, the downgrading plans will end.

I also call on NHS England to formally publish the report, which has already been circulated within BHRUT and local councils. The public have a right to see it without delay.

Building Ilford is impressive display

Richard Elsner, full address supplied, writes:

I went to visit the Building Ilford exhibition at the Redbridge Museum/Library last Thursday.

I was very impressed by the archive of old, enlarged photographs – most of which probably haven’t seen the light of day for decades! I was amazed to discover that plans for a new Ilford by-pass and shopping centre were being discussed as far back as 1964.

There was also a major problem with squatters in Ilford High Road in 1969 because houses were being demolished to make way for “big business”.

There is a 10-minute film clip from that year featuring the major dispute which flared up between the squatters and bailiffs whose job it was to evict them.

I’ve lived in Redbridge since about 1965 and I had no idea that Ilford had an issue with squatters which warranted a visit from a TV camera crew.

There’s also a nice little display regarding the Ilford Super Cinema which was bombed in 1945. My grandfather was a projectionist there. After the war he worked for Kelvin Hughes until he retired in 1974.

The need to avert war is great

N Norman, Redbridge CND, full address supplied, writes:

The world is in a dangerous place. The situation in north east Asia risks war. This could be a nuclear war as President Trump has threatened to “totally destroy” North Korea.

A nuclear war might kill millions of innocent men,women and children. It could spark a global nuclear war which could end civilised life on the planet.

The need to avert war is great.

Come to a meeting called by Redbridge CND/Redbridge Against War and supported by Redbridge Trades Union Council at 7.30pm Wednesday, November 22 at the Gloucester Room,Redbridge Central Library, Clements Road, Ilford.

Sister Act was a first class show

Ken Gaunt, Greenslade Road, Barking, writes:

Last Thursday, Forest Players performed to a packed house at the Kenneth More Theatre and completely sold out Friday and Saturday performances for Sister Act.

Sister Act is about a Reno lounge singer named Deloris Van Cartier who is hidden in a convent under a witness protection program.

Stella Betton gave a first class performance – eat your heart out Whoopi Goldberg. Also Vicky Harris as Mother Superior and Eddie the police officer, played by Phil Halpin. The entire cast gave a brilliant performance. Additionally well done Lee Thompson, director and choreographer, and Ben Summers, musical director.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ilford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ilford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ilford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Latest Ilford News Stories

Performing arts students will be celebrating the magic of Christmas in the traditional way — by staging a panto.

Shoppers in Redbridge have been warned by police not to fall for what is one of the oldest tricks in the book - the ‘three cup’ scam.

A BMW driver from Romford was racing another motorist at more than 79mph when he knocked down and killed an elderly man on the A12 in Redbridge, a court heard.

A fun run set to raise thousands for Saint Francis Hospice was cancelled due to the snow.

PROMOTED CONTENT

You don’t have to make the trek to the North Pole to get into the Christmas spirit this year.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter