Search

Redbridge Council U-turns on garden waste collection charges

PUBLISHED: 22:10 17 October 2017 | UPDATED: 23:09 17 October 2017

Redbridge Council green waste bags waiting for collection. Picture: RON JEFFRIES

Redbridge Council green waste bags waiting for collection. Picture: RON JEFFRIES

Archant

Redbridge Council has made a dramatic U-turn and reintroduced free garden waste collections with “old style bags”, just seven months after launching the scheme.

In March the Labour administration introduced an annual charge of £50 for a roll of 50 bags, with fortnightly collections between April and October – and none for the rest of the year.

However after residents complained these were “worse than a pound shop”, and reported huge queues coming out of Chigwell Road Recyling Centre, the council has reintroduced the free collection.

Council leader Cllr Jas Athwal said: “Balancing much-loved services against the ongoing costs required to provide vital care to the elderly and vulnerable, alongside continued government cuts, is challenging and means we must consider innovative changes to every service we provide.

“Following the Our Streets commission report, we’ve reviewed the service as I promised earlier in the year, and after considering all the options we have decided a free fortnightly service would be the best way forward.”

The news comes after the Redbridge Conservatives organised a petition to reinstate the original garden waste collection service, with almost 5,000 signatures.

Tory group leader Cllr Paul Canal told the Recorder: “Labour can take no credit for their U-turn on a calamitous decision.

“Residents have suffered months of a service that was so low quality, Labour should refund all of the money that was spent on the shoddy bags.

“It’s only because of our petition that Cllr Jas Athwal has changed his mind again.”

Cllr Canal said there has been huge concern among residents over the paid-for scheme which resulted in dangerous queues at the Chigwell Road Reuse and Recycling Centre, South Woodford.

“There is a back-up on the A406 causing traffic chaos and dangerous driving,” he added.

The Recorder letters section has been filled with correspondence complaining about the green waste charges over the past seven months.

Regular contributor Ron Jeffies, 84, of Spearpoint Gardens, Aldborough Hatch, said he was delighted with the news.

“No longer will I have to struggle with plastic bags that split when rose clippings and thorny shrub cuttings are put inside,” he said.

“I am aware that some residents have been hiding their green garden waste in with the household refuse and others have fly-tipped their green stuff.

“There will be no excuse for this kind of thing next year. I congratulate Redbridge Council for listening to the concerns of residents. Well done and thanks.”

Related articles

3 comments

  • Yet again councillors can't make necessary cuts. Funny how most other Tory councils charge for green waste but the Tories fight it in Redbridge.

    Report this comment

    stugotz1000

    Wednesday, October 18, 2017

  • Well done Redbridge council for re instating the green bag collection again. This will make life very easy for old people.

    Report this comment

    Muhammad Ibrahim

    Wednesday, October 18, 2017

  • Brilliant! Well done Redbridge Council for making a sensible decision and thank you to Cllr Canal for forcing this decision. My neighbours will be pleased that I can resume pruning and that said pruning waste will be removed. (Not particularly old but no car and no other way of removing green waste). Now when does this service start?

    Report this comment

    Scarletpuss

    Wednesday, October 18, 2017

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Latest Ilford News Stories

Yesterday, 17:13

A gang of five masked men tried to kidnap a woman after they crashed into her car in Chigwell.

Yesterday, 16:07

Christmas officially began in Seven Kings on Friday when the festive lights were switched on amid carol singing and the unveiling of a tree.

Yesterday, 15:31

Police investigating the murder of a man beaten to death with baseball bats in Ilford High Road have made two further arrests.

Yesterday, 15:00

First time buyers will benefit from not having to pay stamp duty on homes costing £300,000 or less, the chancellor has announced.

PROMOTED CONTENT

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Ilford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now