Six due in court today over Redbridge mosque attack

09:27 01 April 2011

Abdul Wahab, Harunur Rashid, Det Chief Insp Sue Williams, Cllr Shoaib Patel and Chief Insp Stan Greatrick inspect the damage to the mosque

Abdul Wahab, Harunur Rashid, Det Chief Insp Sue Williams, Cllr Shoaib Patel and Chief Insp Stan Greatrick inspect the damage to the mosque


A wedge will not be driven between Redbridge’s diverse communities, a mosque chairman has insisted, after a gang attacked his imam and worshippers.

Frightened men and women ducked for cover and the imam of Redbridge Islamic Centre (RIC), Eastern Avenue, Redbridge, was injured during last week’s attack before the final prayer of the day.

Racist and islamophobic abuse was allegedly hurled as the gang smashed windows and tried to get into the main prayer hall.

But RIC chairman Abul Khayer Ali said this week he will not allow the attack to create divisions.

He said: “Redbridge is a strong and cohesive community with a long standing record of unity.

“We will not allow such callous attacks to create a wedge in the community.

“Rather, this will inspire the RIC to work harder to engage and work closely to reduce stigma and discrimination towards Muslims.”

Neighbouring homes and cars were also damaged during the incident, which happened at about 7.45pm.

Cllr Sohaib Patel, cabinet member for environment and community safety, said: “Redbridge has a very successful diverse, multicultural and cohesive society where residents are able to live in harmony, respecting each other’s faiths and values.

“As the cabinet member for environment and community safety in Redbridge, I assure you that the council and its partners, including the police, will not stand by and let this incident change the very nature of these successes.”

He also praised the community safety partnership team for their work in the borough.

• Six people appeared at Redbridge Court on Saturday charged with violent disorder. Matthew Stephenson, 19, of no fixed address, Daniel Leal, 19, of no fixed address, Rockylee Beale, 19, of Wood Green, Essex and a 15-year-old boy have been bailed. Elliot Jones, 19, of no fixed address and Ryan Jones, 22, of Ilford, have been remanded in custody. They will all appear again at Redbridge Magistrates’ Court this morning.

Latest Ilford News Stories

55 minutes ago

A stunning new exhibition exploring Redbridge’s unique, 400-year relationship with western India, is set to thrill and intrigue residents for the next three months.

Inspirational war effort posters used the eerie image of the zeppelin - known as 'the baby-killer' - to inspire young men to join the army

In this week’s heritage column, historian John Barfoot tells the story of Alfred de Bathe Brandon, who brought down a German zeppelin while based at Hainault in 1916.

Yesterday, 15:00
Izar Abdgalil-Bores who has been nominated for a Young Citizen Award by his Mum for cooking and helping the next door neighbour in the garden

He may only be 11 and a long way from entering the world of employment, but for one youngster it is never too early to start mapping out a career plan.

Yesterday, 12:00
Woodford and Wanstead Photographic Society member Arnie Gobel's picture SS Nornen at Berrow, in Somerset, was voted best image of the night at an interclub competition. Picture: Arnie Gobel

This beautiful seascape of the Somerset coast, was named best image at a pair of photographic clubs’ competition.

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read news


Show Job Lists


£3,000 goes a long way at Boots

Cosmetics, toiletries, vitamins and more. Boots is the number one choice when it comes to purchasing daily essentials.

Kit yourself out and go Apple mad!

If you’re obsessed with Apple or just love a good gadget, this is a prize that will blow you away! An incredible £3,333 to spend on Apple goodies! How would you like to be the proud new owner of the Apple Watch?

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Ilford Recorder
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now