Search

Six due in court today over Redbridge mosque attack

PUBLISHED: 09:27 01 April 2011

Abdul Wahab, Harunur Rashid, Det Chief Insp Sue Williams, Cllr Shoaib Patel and Chief Insp Stan Greatrick inspect the damage to the mosque

Abdul Wahab, Harunur Rashid, Det Chief Insp Sue Williams, Cllr Shoaib Patel and Chief Insp Stan Greatrick inspect the damage to the mosque

Archant

A wedge will not be driven between Redbridge’s diverse communities, a mosque chairman has insisted, after a gang attacked his imam and worshippers.

Frightened men and women ducked for cover and the imam of Redbridge Islamic Centre (RIC), Eastern Avenue, Redbridge, was injured during last week’s attack before the final prayer of the day.

Racist and islamophobic abuse was allegedly hurled as the gang smashed windows and tried to get into the main prayer hall.

But RIC chairman Abul Khayer Ali said this week he will not allow the attack to create divisions.

He said: “Redbridge is a strong and cohesive community with a long standing record of unity.

“We will not allow such callous attacks to create a wedge in the community.

“Rather, this will inspire the RIC to work harder to engage and work closely to reduce stigma and discrimination towards Muslims.”

Neighbouring homes and cars were also damaged during the incident, which happened at about 7.45pm.

Cllr Sohaib Patel, cabinet member for environment and community safety, said: “Redbridge has a very successful diverse, multicultural and cohesive society where residents are able to live in harmony, respecting each other’s faiths and values.

“As the cabinet member for environment and community safety in Redbridge, I assure you that the council and its partners, including the police, will not stand by and let this incident change the very nature of these successes.”

He also praised the community safety partnership team for their work in the borough.

• Six people appeared at Redbridge Court on Saturday charged with violent disorder. Matthew Stephenson, 19, of no fixed address, Daniel Leal, 19, of no fixed address, Rockylee Beale, 19, of Wood Green, Essex and a 15-year-old boy have been bailed. Elliot Jones, 19, of no fixed address and Ryan Jones, 22, of Ilford, have been remanded in custody. They will all appear again at Redbridge Magistrates’ Court this morning.

Latest Ilford News Stories

Ilford residents have one last weekend to enjoy feeding the town’s pigeons before the act becomes illegal on Monday under new legislation.

Yesterday, 19:33

Parliamentary candidates have tonight been reacting to the news that Ukip will not be fielding a candidate in Ilford North to try and ensure a pro-Brexit MP is elected come June 8.

Yesterday, 17:44

Ukip will not be fielding candidates in three Redbridge constituencies in the upcoming general election, in attempt to help pro-Brexit candidates get elected.

Yesterday, 15:00

The spectacular success of a police sting that “cut the head off” a vast drug dealing racket at Ilford station was fully revealed last night.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Ilford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now