March 8 2014 Latest news:
by Jessica Earnshaw and Lizzie Dearden
Monday, December 31, 2012
The year is almost over and so it’s time for the final part of our 2012 Redbridge Review of the Year.
The sixth instalment at our look back at the year includes a remarkable story of survival on a train station platform and a young business-savvy student who made it far on TV’s Young Apprentice.
When a train driver reported hitting a man at Goodmayes train station on November 21, police searched the lines for a body for hours.
But the next day, 34-year-old dad Stephen Wright identified himself as the man that was struck.
He escaped with just whiplash and swelling after his head was clipped by the passing train.
He had just picked up his sons from Barley Lane Primary School and leant over the platform because he felt sick.
Mr Wright, of Upton Park, said: “My aunt said God was rolling with me. There’s no way I should be here.”
Also this month:
• Chigwell grandfather, 78, graduates from university
• Home cleaner was “a minute” away from being crushed by 80ft tree that fell on South Woodford house
• EU health and safety rules stop collections from type of black bin in Redbridge
• Models hold chickens in fashion shoot in Barkingside pet shop.
Seven Kings High School student Navdeep Bual was fired by Lord Sugar in the sixth week of BBC One reality show The Young Apprentice.
The 16-year-old had survived six weeks in the series for budding entrepreneurs and she became a firm favourite with some viewers, who were outraged by her shock exit.
But Navdeep told the Recorder she was “content” with how far she got.
Despite her success, she plans to study medicine and go into the World Health Organisation.
“I just want to make sure the opportunities I have don’t go to waste,” she said.
Also this month:
• Man calls fire brigade to rescue him while dangling from fence by shoelaces in Woodford Green
• Hainault Fire Station closure among options to save London Fire Brigade millions
• Colin Farrell lookalike from Barkingside planning music and movie career
• Hainault man jailed alongside TOWIE stepfather as part of gang that staged gold and silver heist.
A man in his 30s has been found dead in a garden in Ilford.