September 21 2014 Latest news:
by Jessica Earnshaw and Lizzie Dearden
Saturday, December 29, 2012
As 2012 comes to a close, the Ilford Recorder is taking a look back at the stories which made the headlines during the year. In part three of our six-part series, it is the turn of May and June.
Slipper clad Michael Mather was loading his car when two would-be burglars wearing hoodies approached and tried to force their way into his house.
Little did they know that Mr Mather, 77, spent his youth training with boxing legend Henry Cooper and the Kray brothers and could still throw a powerful punch.
Mr Mather said: “One of the boys walloped me on the head with a two foot log and it started bleeding. I was so angry.
“They tried to push past me to get into the house. I went to hit one of the boys in the solar plexus with my left, and then with my right hand hit him on the nose and it just burst which I feel a bit guilty about.”
Also this month:
• Street of Gold: Clements Road, Ilford makes council more than half a million in tickets and parking fines
• Rambo dognapped: Women caught on CCTV stealing shop’s German Shepherd
• A teacher living in a remote Welsh farm house to home swap with Ilford resident for new job
• Power to the Pupils: South Park Primary protest against dangerous drivers.
Redbridge turned red, white and blue when thousands got into the party spirit to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
To coincide with Queen Elizabeth II’s four days of official celebrations, every corner of the borough put up bunting and hosted fabulous street parties.
Amongst the party goers was Erna Robinson, 87, of Seven Kings, who enjoyed her first ever street party since moving there in 1949.
She said: “I remember the Queen’s coronation and I just can’t believe it is 60 years ago. The residents didn’t have a party back then, or for Charles and Diana’s wedding so it is lovely that we have finally all come together.”
To see a gallery of pictures from some of Redbridge’s street parties, click on the link at the top right of this page.
Also this month:
• Criminals damage own car trying to steal Woodford Green ticket machine
• Former Redbridge school teacher, who was suspended when it was revealed he was a stripper, enters Big Brother house
• Redbridge man who “miraculously” survived the Holocaust tells his remarkable story
• Ilford family burgled by bogus police officers.
A car fire on the A406 in Ilford caused hours of disruption on the roads this morning.