Search

Police to push for more officers as force faces ‘exceptionally busy weekend’

PUBLISHED: 18:08 20 August 2014 | UPDATED: 18:08 20 August 2014

The new sergeants at Ilford police station

The new sergeants at Ilford police station

Archant

Police called for reinforcements from other boroughs on Friday as they were faced with an “exceptionally busy” period.

Now a senior officer says Redbridge police will be pushing for more officers to be brought in permanently to cope with the borough’s increasing population and changing demographic.

Det Ch Insp Neil Lemon said: “We are quite a busy borough. We can be as busy as Hackney some weeks. We don’t necessarily have a lot of stabbings or a lot of gang problems – that we don’t have – but we are a busy borough.”

He added: “We’re doing well for resources and for the first time we are almost up to target. We are a few short. There are systems in place. When we get too busy they do draw on resources from the adjoining boroughs, which they did on Friday.”

Earlier this month, Redbridge unveiled 11 new sergeants who had been recruited to the borough – eight uniformed and three to work in CID.

Arrests

And last year, Mayor of London Boris Johnson announced in the GLA’s police and crime plan that Redbridge would gain 86 new police officers by next year.

This week Redbridge police were unable to confirm the exact number of calls from Friday and through the weekend.

But on Monday, the force tweeted from its account @MPSRedbridge to say it had made a “number of good arrests” over the “exceptionally busy” weekend.

Arrests had been made on suspicion of rape, drugs offences, criminal damage, drunkenness, and witness intimidation. The tweets said two people had also been arrested on suspicion of assault, two on suspicion of domestic assault, two on suspicion of theft from a vehicle and two on suspicion of aggravated vehicle taking.

Latest Ilford News Stories

The fatal shooting of 19-year-old Abdi Sheikh in Ilford may not have happened where he was found by the police, the Recorder can reveal.

17:36

Three men charged with robbery are set to stand trial after pleading not guilty at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

A man appeared in court today after a Ferrari parked on a drive was left “burnt out” in a suspected arson attack.

Residents and businesses living yards from where a man was stabbed on Friday night have voiced their anger and helplessness.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Ilford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now