Search

Police deny Redbridge will experience a knife crime spike this summer after campaigner’s claims

17:20 14 July 2014

Danny O

Danny O'Brien

Archant

Police have quashed fears from a leading anti-knife campaigner who said he would “not be surprised” if there was a rise in blade-related crime in Redbridge during the summer holidays.

Danny O’Brien, of Seven Kings, founder of Anti-Knife UK, said there was the possibility of a rise in knife crime amongst children who were susceptible to boredom during the extended school break.

But Redbridge Police moved quickly this week to disparage Mr O’Brien’s claims, pointing to the fact there were no arrests during Operation Big Wing on June 25 for any knife crime.

Detective Chief Inspector John Fish, from Redbridge neighbourhood policing teams, said: “Crime in Redbridge has fallen over the past year, with knife crime down by 18 per cent. It remains one of the safest boroughs in London.

“There is no evidence to suggest there are any matters specific to Redbridge that will push knife crime up in any one area.”

Mr O’Brien had initially said: “Knife crime is not disappearing – it is getting worse. It spikes during school holidays.

“I would not be surprised if there was a spike in Redbridge with six weeks holiday and a lot of kids hanging out on the street – they get bored.”

Mr O’Brien set up Anti-Knife UK in 2008 because he “got fed up about hearing about youths on the street”.

Last month, MP Nick de Bois for Enfield North spoke to Mr O’Brien about the ongoing issue before talking in Parliament on June 17 about amending the sentencing imposed for carrying a knife.

Redbridge Police did confirm it was planning a series of operations over the summer focusing on areas most vulnerable to become venues for violent crime.

Last year more than 50 per cent of murders were committed with knives and 43 per cent of the UK’s knife related offences took place in London.

Police claim knife crime offences have reduced by 11.5 per cent with 1,300 fewer offences, which is the lowest total in the last seven years.

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 15:55
Sharon Mwangi from Ilford has won Miss State Commonwealth representing Kenya

Picture by Ellie Hoskins

A fashion student set on challenging perceptions of her area has been crowned beauty queen at a pageant.

Yesterday, 11:36
Redbridge Council has announced plans to build a new swimming pool at Mayfield School. 

Cllr Wes Streeting with other Cllrs, pupils from the school, Head Teacher and the Chair of Governers

Details about a proposed third public swimming pool in Redbridge have been released.

Yesterday, 07:00
Wilson Chowdhry, owner of AA Security on 73 Green lane has received hoards of junk mail. The mail is for at least ten other addresses than 73 Green lane.

Ilford’s first ever Christmas Festival will take place on Tuesday.

Sunday, December 21, 2014
Househunter turned employee Jess Rodgers

It’s not every day a visit to a housing development turns into a new job – but that’s what happened to one 26-year-old from South Woodford.

Most read news

Janey Godley was caught up in the major road incident at George Square today, and gave her testimony of what she saw.

The former QPR and Burnley player was reportedly involved in a serious incident involving a lorry in North Yorkshire.

Ringo Starr, Bette Midler, Steven Tyler and Boy George are among the many musicians paying tribute to the Sheffield singer.

People are paying tribute after the rock and blues legend Joe Cocker has passed away.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition