Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 15°C

Five-day forecast

Mariana Popa murder: Killer jailed for 29 years

Murdered Mariana Popa and her killer Farooq Shah (Picture: Metropolitan Police) Murdered Mariana Popa and her killer Farooq Shah (Picture: Metropolitan Police)

Friday, June 27, 2014
5:17 PM

A man who stabbed a pregnant Romanian prostitute to death on Ilford Lane last October has been jailed for at least 29 years.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Farooq Shah, 21, of Station Road, Forest Gate, plunged a knife into Mariana Popa’s heart as she walked along the stretch of road notorious for sex workers.

The 24-year-old had been in the UK just three weeks and was six weeks pregnant when she was attacked on October 28, a court heard.

The mother-of-one staggered into Chicken & Pizza 4U in Ilford Lane and collapsed in a pool of blood as her killer rode away on his bike.

Today at Woolwich Crown Court, Judge Christopher Kinch QC jailed Shah for life and ordered he serve at least 29 years behind bars.

The judge said: “It was an utterly terrible attack which inevitably led to her death. It was carried out with callous indifference on a defenceless woman. Mariana Popa did not stand a chance.”

CCTV footage showed Shah waiting on the forecourt of a BP garage close to where prostitutes were working on Ilford Lane late on October 28.

Miss Popa could then be seen to walk towards him and speak to him before he stabbed her twice in the chest.

Shah’s distinctive appearance exactly matched that of the killer - a Muslim man with a shaved head and a bushy beard - but he claimed he was the victim of mistaken identity.

He was found with another stolen mobile when he was arrested for the murder of Miss Popa.

Just an hour before the attack, he carried out a knife-point robbery a short distance away. Today Shah also received a six year sentence to run concurrently with the other jail term.

Det Insp Darren Richards, the investigating officer, said: “Shah has never given any reason or expressed any remorse for killing Mariana.

“He’s given no reason because there was no reason, other than he’d armed himself with a knife and was prepared to use it that night.

“First he threatened a vulnerable man for his phone, then he attacked Mariana, thinking they were alone.

“Fortunately he was caught on camera and we were able to put together his movements and bring him before the courts.

“His callous murder has deprived a young daughter of her mother and a family of their loved one. I hope today’s sentence brings some sense of justice for them.”

Read more:

Mariana Popa murder: Timeline of a sex worker’s killing

‘I’m still in shock and devastated - our plans to have a family have been dashed’

Share this article

Most Read News...

PCSOs Mark Jackson and Alan Young from the Newbury safer neighbourhoods team at the Jaffe Estate in Ilford where anti-social behaviour has fallen

Ilford estate which sparked fears of a ‘postcode turf war’ sees anti-social behaviour fall

Doors smashed in with sledgehammers, armed teenagers cutting through CCTV wires and homeowners buying metal grilles to protect their property – this was life on the Jaffe Estate in 2010.

Read full story »

Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Ilford Recorder on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Ilford businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Ilford Recorder, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

Drake has cancelled his Wireless London performance (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for ESPN)

Fans devastated after Drake cancels Wireless London festival

Rapper Drake has pulled out of his headline appearances at this weekend’s Wireless Festival in London, leaving fans devastated.

Read full story »