May 18 2013 Latest news:
Friday, July 6, 2012
A boy molested by two Redbridge men who posed as trainspotters has spoken of the lasting impact the abuse has had on him.
Former teacher Andrew Mower, 67, and Darren Smith, 39, groomed four vulnerable boys, aged 13 to 16, in online chat rooms and specialist rail forums before inviting them to meet at train conventions or transport museums.
Mower lured them to the house he shared with Smith in Tryfan Close, Redbridge, plying them with drink and gifts.
Today at Snaresbrook Crown Court, they were jailed for a minimum of ten years each.
In victim impact statements, the boys molested by the pair, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, told how they struggled to trust people and maintain relationships with friends and family.
One boy said: “They manipulated me to the extent that I virtually cut all ties with people and I was isolated from people my own age.
“To this day I no longer have any contact with my parents.
“I always feel people are only being nice to me to get something from me.”
Sentencing Mower and Smith to an indefinite sentence, judge David Radford described their crimes as “the cynical and wicked ensuing of children who became victims of your cruel and perverted behaviour.”
“It is, I believe, no accident that you knew each of the victims came from homes where their fathers were absent.
“The truth is, you couldn’t care less if they consented to what you were doing.”
Of the child porn charges, judge Radford added: “You were wholly complicit in the continuing abuse that this dreadful industry gives rise to, a cruel and evil trade in childhood misery.
“Your pursuit of your perverted sexual gratification has caused these young boys serious physical and psychological harm.
Ordering them to spend a minimum of 10 years in prison before being considered for parole, Judge Radford added: “I make it clear that you should not expect to be released unless, contrary to my present expectation, you satisfy the parole board that you are no longer a danger to children.”
Both men showed no emotion as they left the dock.
Judge Radford also commended the victims for their courage in giving evidence and the police and counsel for their efforts.
Jeremy Wainwright, defending Smith, told how he had been sexually assaulted in the past.
Smith claimed Mower “talked him into it”, the court heard.
Det Ch Insp Carl Mehta, who led the investigation by the Metropolitan Police’s Sapphire unit, said: “We want all sex offenders to know that our dedicated teams are there to trace and pursue them until they are bought to justice.
“I pay tribute to the enormous courage of each victim who came forward and reported their abuse and supported this prosecution to bring these men to justice.
“We hope that this result will bring them and their families the sense of closure they fully deserve and we would urge any other victims to come forward and speak to us.”
A Newbury Park resident has told of the horrifying scene after a crash in Eastern Avenue that killed a 29-year-old woman last night.