Search

Boy born brain-damaged at King George Hospital awarded at least £5million compensation

10:17 04 October 2012

An eight-year-old boy who was born brain-damaged at King George Hospital has been awarded at least £5million in compensation.

The boy, who cannot be named, is “grossly physically disabled” after he was starved of oxygen in the womb in the last 20 minutes of his delivery at the hospital in Goodmayes in October 2004.

Although his intellect is “relatively spared” his QC, Angus McCullough, said the boy has “very little independent mobility” and cannot communicate beyond “just a few words and phrases”.

The boy, whose family lives in the Ilford area, was delivered by emergency caesarean section after complications developed during his mother’s labour.

At birth, he was found to be “floppy and pale”, court papers disclosed, and needed urgent resuscitation before he could breathe spontaneously.

Medics discovered that his oxygen starvation in the womb stemmed from a traumatic rupture of the maternal womb. However, the boy’s lawyers said his severe brain injuries could have been avoided had the caesarean section been pushed through more rapidly.

In court on Tuesday, Martin Porter QC, for the Barking, Havering and Redbridge Hospitals NHS Trust, “formally apologised” to the boy and his family for the faults surrounding his birth.

The told Mr Justice Cranston that liability was admitted and the degree of care was “exemplary”.

The trust will pay the boy a lump sum of £4,250,000, plus annual sums to provide for the costs of his care for as long as he lives.

The judge concluded: “I would like to express my best wishes for his best future, and to commend his parents who have dedicated themselves to his care at the expense of their own health”.

Latest News Stories

17 minutes ago
The road in Thetford, Norfolk, where Ted McDermott was tragically killed last week.

A golf society’s day out ended in tragedy when one of its elderly members was killed after being hit by a van.

King George Hospital

Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Trust (BHRUT) hospitals are to receive a full Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspection this week.

13:07
Developers want to demolish the Shannon Centre, which acts as a bar at the moment, and build a six-storey block of flats.

Plans to knock down an “historic” building and replace it with a block of flats have been approved.

12:15
MP for Ilford North, Lee Scott

The MP for Ilford North will reveal the harrowing details of the anti-Semitic behaviour he has endured on a radio programme to be aired on Thursday.

Most read news

Climbers are leaving a big mess on the world’s highest peak.

Family talk of devastation as police find body parts in hunt for missing teenager.

Police have released the video as they work to track down Alan Cartwright’s attackers.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24
Our trusted business finder