Search

Central line strikes could continue in September

15:21 26 August 2014

Another 24-hour strike could bring misery to a million Central line commuters if the ASLEF train drivers

Another 24-hour strike could bring misery to a million Central line commuters if the ASLEF train drivers' strike goes ahead on Wednesday, September 17 (photo by Oli Scarff/Getty Images)

2009 Getty Images

Central line commuters could face a repeat of Friday’s strike action in September if drivers cannot reach an agreement with Underground bosses.

More than 90 per cent of members of train drivers’ union Aslef had voted in favour of the industrial action last week.

Now union representative Finn Brennan has said a second strike on Wednesday, September 17, could be on the table. He added the union has heard nothing from TfL management since Friday.

Last week Mr Brennan said London Underground had refused “to treat drivers with the respect and dignity they deserve at work”.

“Our members will not tolerate a situation where vulnerable people leave sickness review meetings in tears and drivers with years and years of good and long service are threatened with disciplinary action for a delay of 33 seconds in leaving a terminus,” he said.

He also criticised LUL for cutting annual referesher training for Central line drivers.

Lance Ramsay, London Underground’s general manager, said: “We have been holding discussions with ASLEF to work through local issues they have raised within our agreed processes.

“Strike action is not necessary and we urge them to continue talks with us to understand and resolve their concerns.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ilford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ilford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ilford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

09:00
From left, secretary Nicola Calabrese, 49, chairwoman Sarah Boud, 39, and trustee Danielle Palmer, 34. Picture: Wanstead Playground Association

A group of mums is launching a crowdfunding campaign to modernise a children’s play park.

Yesterday, 12:00
Mammoth campaigner Hannah Chowdhry, 10, talking to the students of Fullwell Primary School about bringing Monty back to Ilford

Children at Fullwood Primary School in Barkingside enjoyed a lesson about Ilford’s oldest inhabitant, Monty the mammoth.

Yesterday, 09:00
Redbridge Town Hall. Picture: Redbridge Council

Community officers are set to continue their work helping to tackle issues such as anti-social behaviour.

Fri, 19:00
Marjorie Tappenden

A pensioner who killed a cyclist was sentenced to a community order today and suspended from driving for three years.

Most read news

People thought the Deputy Prime Minister was pretty funny actually.

Brothers: The David Haines Story, will be broadcast on BBC Radio Scotland at 10.30am on Sunday.

Over £30,000 has been raised in a couple of days for a mugging victim, despite the goal only being set at £500.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24
Our trusted business finder