September 17 2014 Latest news:
Beth Wyatt, Reporter
Thursday, July 17, 2014
A man who has battled for more than a decade to uncover the circumstances around his sister’s death has won a third inquest.
Bernard Bloom said he felt “tired” after all of his work, which paid off today with the High Court approving his application for a new inquest into sister Carmel’s death.
Carmel, 54, of Fremantle Road, Barkingside, died in 2002 after a kidney stone operation at the former Bupa Roding Hospital in Roding Lane South, Redbridge - now the Spire Roding Hospital.
Mr Bloom said: “I feel tired and a bit sick about it all. I have lost so far nearly 12 years of my life fighting this on a daily basis to get here.
“I couldn’t believe it when we were told we had got it - I was thinking the worst.”
The first inquest into Carmel’s death took place in 2003 and gave a verdict of death by natural causes.
However, this was quashed by an inquest in 2005, wherein the jury found a series of failures contributed to her death.
In February 2011, doctors John Hines and Paul Timmis were cleared after a General Medical Council hearing was told Carmel’s operation had gone tragically wrong.
See more on the development in next week’s Recorder.