Search

13 Redbridge children go missing when in external care placements in 2013

13:00 05 May 2014

Caroline Pidgeon Photo credit: Mark Morris

Caroline Pidgeon Photo credit: Mark Morris

Archant

Forty-six incidents of children going missing in care were recorded last year, according to a new report.

Caroline Pidgeon, a Liberal Democrat Greater London Assembly (GLA) member, published a report on the issue, called “Looked after Children: Missing from care” after submitting Freedom of Information (FOI) requests to all 32 London boroughs.

According to Redbridge Council, 13 children went missing in total when placed in care outside the borough. Four children made up 21 of the recorded incidents.

The council says the children were put in care outside the borough due to their “specialist needs”.

In wake of the report, Tom Rahilly, the NSPCC’s head of strategy and development, said: “Going missing from care can present a significant risk to children.

“It’s often an important warning sign they are suffering serious harm or at imminent risk of doing so.

“If any other child went missing their parent would rightly move heaven and earth to find them.”

Cllr Keith Prince, the Redbridge Council leader, defended the figure in spite of it being one of the highest in London out of 25 FOI requests responded to by local authorities.

He said: “It does not surprise me when you consider they are young adults.

“If a young adult does not return to their place of residence they may turn up tomorrow.”

Cllr Prince explained children are often placed outside the borough to help them.

He added: “We place them out of the borough so that they get away from their peer groups and peer pressure.”

New Scotland Yard revealed last month it was aware of 10 crime gangs targeting “nearly 3,000 children” not necessarily in care who could be “at risk of abuse or other mistreatment”.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ilford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ilford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ilford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

25 minutes ago
MP for Ilford North, Lee Scott

The MP for Ilford North will reveal the harrowing details of the anti-Semitic behaviour he has endured on a radio programme to be aired on Thursday.

Marks and Spencer

The store in 135-139 High Road has announced that it will be closing the cafe and bureau de change

10:05
Winston Way, in Ilford. Picture: Google Maps Streetview

The motorbike rider seriously injured in a crash yesterday has not suffered life-threatening injuries.

07:01
Mark Glazer of Redbridge Neighbourhood Watch

“High crime areas” in Redbridge are being targeted by Neighbourhood Watch in an effort to boost numbers.

Most read news

Police have released the video as they work to track down Alan Cartwright’s attackers.

Ten of the wealthiest women in the world, according to Forbes.

Five additional arrests have been made by police after discovery.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24
Our trusted business finder